Frequently Asked Questions about Insurance in Thailand (FAQs).
Health Insurance

We offer a range

of Worldwide and Local

Plan to suite you.

Motorbike Insurance

We Cover all types

of Motorbike,

Big & Small

Home Insurance

Are You



Car Insurance

Get the Best

Car Insurance Cover

Slide 5

Save Time & Money

On Your Business

Phone+66 86 332 2197 & +66 81 781 2196


Frequently Asked Questions / FAQs regarding Insurance in Thailand

Below is a carefully prepared list of most common and frequently asked questions (a.k.a. FAQs) regarding different types of insurance requirements in Thailand. We have covered the major topics such as Medical / Health Insurance, House / Home Insurance, Condominium / Apartment / Condo Insurance, Vehicle / Auto / Car Insurance, Personal Accident Insurance (PA), Golf Insurance and Life Insurance in Thailand.

If you would like to suggest some FAQs of your choice to be added in this section then please do so by suggesting your Insurance FAQ by simply writing to us.

For answers to any other questions which might not be listed in this section, just contact us with your questions through one of our contact forms and our team of dedicated staff would be glad to assist you further.

For a quick online Insurance quote, please fill in our Quote Form to receive your Insurance Quote.


Health Insurance

Home Insurance

Condo Insurance

Vehicle Insurance

Personal Accident Insurance

Golf Insurance

Life Insurance

Health Insurance Thailand

Am I covered if I travel abroad?

This depends on your selected plan.
• Most plans cover some form of cover abroad.
• However, you must remember that ‘low cost’ plans which may be suitable for Thailand may not have sufficient cover for treatment outside of Thailand.
• Whilst abroad, you will have to pay first and claim back when you return to Thailand. You need to keep all bills/receipts/doctors letters etc.

Can I get cover for dental treatment?

Yes, however it is expensive and is usually only available with the high-end medical plans. Other lower cost plans may allow emergency dental treatment.

Do you have "standalone" medical insurance, i.e. not linked to a life insurance policy?

Yes – we have both standalone and linked.

How do I choose which plan is best for me?

The best thing to do is visit AA Insurance brokers who will explain each plan, the benefits, advantages & disadvantages. In a nutshell, check the following as this gives a good indication whether it is sufficient or not.

Overall medical benefit level

Answer Unavailable.

Surgical limit

Answer Unavailable.

Room rate

A heart bypass, can cost you in the region of 500-1,000,000 baht. Room rates for the ‘better’ hospitals are increasing rapidly and whilst they used to be around 2,000 baht per night, nowadays its around 5,000 at least.

How do I make a claim?

If you present your medical card when you go to the hospital, they should be able to handle your claim for you. If not, call your broker who will be able to help you.

I am covered while playing sports or doing my hobbies?

It depends on the selected plan, but usually, except for what are classed as dangerous sports such as skydiving etc. You will not be covered for professional sports.

Is it not cheaper to buy direct from the insurance company?

No, in fact because of the brokers buying power it is possible to obtain insurance cheaper. Insurance companies only offer THEIR plans, a broker can offer you a wide range of plans from all companies. You should also remember that the insurance company is working on behalf of themselves, the broker is working on YOUR behalf. If you buy direct and they refuse to pay for a claim, who are you going to call????

What are pre-existing conditions?

Any medical condition or hereditary condition you have had prior to taking out medical insurance. You should be aware that if you switch insurers that the new insurance company may exclude any conditions you have had treated whilst with the previous insurer.

What do I do if I have an accident?

Preparation is the ‘key’.
• Carry your insurance card with you at all times and a miniature copy of your passport.
• Buy your insurance through a broker, they are working for YOU, not the insurer.
• The hospital should contact the insurer when you arrive. If possible call your broker or the emergency number on the back of your medical card . Many hospitals will not carry out any treatment without either a deposit or confirmation from your insurer that they will cover the treatment.

What is a deductible?

This is the amount YOU pay before the insurer has to pay. Eg. You have a 5,000 deductible and the bill is 10,000. You have to pay 5,000 and the insurer will cover the remaining 5,000.

What is the maximum age to apply?

Plans in Thailand tend to limit the age to 60 years. However, there are plans that allow applicants up to 70-75.

What is "Major medical"?

This is in addition to the standard amount the insurer will pay for surgery. Any type of surgery which they class as ‘major’ will qualify for ‘major medical’ benefit. For example, if your standard insurance surgical benefit is 120,000 baht and you have major surgery, the bill comes to 500,000, then ‘major medical’ benefit would cover the additional amount. In a recent case involving a cartilage operation, the patients cover limit was 80,000 and the bill came to 120,000. The insurance company covered the entire bill.

What is the difference between ‘Outpatient’ & ‘Inpatient’?

Outpatient is treatment you receive when you go to hospital, see the doctor, obtain medicine etc and then return home.
Inpatient is when you are admitted to hospital for a period of time.

What types of medical insurance are available?

• Low cost local cover — Although this is cheap, in reality this generally does not provide sufficient cover for expatriates.
• International local cover — This provides good levels of cover that are suitable for expatriates.
• International — This provides full cover both here in Thailand and for travel abroad.


Home Insurance

Am I covered for damage caused by flooding?

Standard policies don’t’ usually cover flood damage, only water damage. You should always ask for ‘flood’ cover as an additional option.

Am I covered if I take my camera outside the house?

Only if you have specifically requested this type of cover.

How do I choose the level of cover needed?

Four categories
1. Building
Size, construction, floors, cost per sqm. The DOI set this at 10,000 baht per sqm. However, most expat homes are around 20,000 baht per sqm.
2. Fixtures & fittings
Bathrooms, kitchens, fitted cupboards, aircons etc
3. Contents
Sofa, chairs, tables, TV’s, stereos, computers etc, etc
4. Personal possessions
Money, jewellery, cameras etc
These additional items tend NOT to be included in standard policies, therefore you need to request specific coverage (not cheap).

I am renting a house, do I need insurance?

Check with your landlord first. However, generally, you will be responsible for any damage caused to the property, therefore you should get full cover (building and contents).

I rent the house to a tenant, what happens if he has an accident?

You can get additional ‘tenant liability’ cover in case the tenant has an accident and blames you (not expensive).

What is covered?

Windstorm, hail, explosion, aircraft, earthquake, water damage, electrical injury, vehicle impact, smoke, riot & strike, burglary, vandalism & malicious acts.

What is the difference between "theft" and "burglary"?

In Thailand burglary and theft are two different things (same same but different??)
• Burglary is defined as ‘forcible entry or exit’, in other words if someone breaks into your house there must be visible signs, i.e. broken window, door etc.
• If they enter your house and there are no visible signs, you will NOT be covered. For this reason, some have suggested they keep a brick handy. We obviously do not condone this, but at least make sure it is thrown from the outside!!
• Make sure you have decent locks, security system etc.
• You can specify cover for ‘theft’, however generally speaking they will only cover up to a maximum of 10% of the cover level. Ask how much this adds to the premium and decide if you want the additional protection.


Condo Insurance

What is the difference between Condo insurance and house insurance?

House insurance covers the building and any damage to it. Condo insurance covers the fixtures & fittings and contents only, damage caused to your neighbours and damage caused by your neighbours to your condo.
Condo insurance is cheaper.


Vehicle Insurance

How can I reduce my premiums?

• Choose named drivers. Choosing any driver is more expensive.
• Offer to pay a deducible. i.e. you pay the first 3,000-5,000.
• Check the levels for medical etc (sometimes these are too high).
• Don’t have accidents and get ‘no claims’ bonus.
• Review you policy annually.

What do I do if I have an accident?

• Call the insurance company’s emergency number immediately. A good insurer will send someone within 20-30 minutes.
• Don’t admit any liability.
• Remain calm.
• If you are arrested, remain calm.
• Again preparation is important. Make sure you have copies of your policy documents in your car, along with your driving license and copy of your passport. Keep the insurers emergency number at hand.
• Check that your insurer has a 24 hour emergency number manned by ENGLISH speaking staff. It’s no good having insurance if you can’t get them to understand where you are or what happened.

What is bail bond?

This is to provide funds in the event you are arrested and put in the police jail. Usually, for foreigners bail is 200,000 baht. Check your policy that the amount shown is at least 200,000. If it is too high your premium will also be higher.
Note: this bail bond only covers you if you are arrested for a road traffic incident. It will not cover you if you are involved in any other incident. You should take out separate bail bond insurance, which is not very expensive and you can select the desired level of cover.

What is compulsory motor insurance ?

In 1992, the Thai government has passed a law that required all vehicles in the Kingdom of Thailand to have an insurance coverage that covers the medical expense of road victims. The law was implemented in April 5, 1993. If an owner of a vehicle fails to have this insurance, he/she will face a fine of THB 10,000 - 50,000.

Coverage of Compulsory Motor Insurance

The compulsory motor insurance only covers bodily injury of the road victims. The property damage is not included. The coverage is divided as followed:

Primary Loss :
1. Medical cover = 30,000 Baht per person.
2. PA benefit = 35,000 Baht per person.
3. Death benefit = 35,000 Baht per person.
4. Medical cover and death benefit if death or disability occurs after treatment = 65,000 Baht per person.

Loss that exceeds the primary loss :
1. Medical cover = 80,000 Baht per person.
2. Death/Total permanent disability benefit = 300,000 Baht per person.
3. Disability benefit = 200,000 - 300,000 Baht per person.
4. Hospitalization daily benefit = 200 Baht per day, maximum 20 days.

What types of car insurance are available?

• Compulsory
• CTPL (Compulsory Third Party Liability)
  You must have this insurance as it is a requirement to obtaining your road tax each year, Thaivisa Insurance can now also provide road tax renewals, contact us for further details.
• Voluntary
• First Class.

What most Europeans know as Full comprehensive, Full cover.

This provides cover for third parties and damage to your own vehicle. As the majority of Thai drivers don’t even have insurance, this is the cover you should have as an expat.
• Second Class (also Plus available)
What most would know as third party, fire & theft. If you have an accident with another driver and its their fault and they don’t have insurance, you will not be covered.
• Third Class
This only covers damage to the other driver and vehicle, not yours. • Third Class Plus
This is a new class of insurance which covers damage to the other driver and vehicle AND a limited amount of damage to your own vehicle (usually around 100k).


Personal Accident Insurance

What is covered?

• Death
• Permanent disability
• Temporary diability
• Medical
• Cover tends to be in multiples of 500,000 for death & disability benefit, with medical cover in the range of 100,000.
• Most, but not all insurers will only pay 50% of the death benefit if the accident involves a motorcycle. Eg. If the benefit is 1,000,000 and the insured was riding a motorbike then the insurer would only pay out 500,000.
• You can also get 1-2,000 baht per week benefit if you choose this as an option.


Golf Insurance

Golf insurance, do you need it?

Golf is, for sure, an expensive sport and sometimes, believe it or not, can be a dangerous sport. Golf insurance is not a new product but can offer you protection against loss and damages that can happen both on and off the golf course.
1. For yourself, from damages inflicted by other parties ranging from death, loss of organs to medical expenses.
2. For the third party, from damages caused by you ranging from loss of life, medical expense and lawsuits.
3. For your equipment, in case of damage and theft.
You will also receive a bonus should you get a hole-in-one.'


Life Insurance

What does it cover?

Insured events that may be covered include:
• Death
• Accidental death.


E-Mail Address and Phone Number contact details of Insurance Brokers of Thailand.